Wednesday, April 28, 2010

NaPoWriMo #28 - Not the result he expected

Not the result he expected

After an hour of waiting
ignored, a girl in a mini
directed me
to the big shot's
expansive corner office.

Behind a flat, empty
aircraft carrier
of a desk, an overlarge
black leather chair
cradled the young CEO.
Heavy braided gold chains
swathed his barely
post adolescent neck.
His shirt was wrinkled
and junk food wrapers
littered the floor.

With my resume
in his hand,
he mocked each line
as he studied me
like a sociopath
studies an animal
he is dismembering
or a fly, just before
he tears off a wing.

After the fifth outright insult
I understood the smirk
the icy neon in his eyes.
He was just getting started.

"Well, well,"
I said as I stood suddenly,
strode forward, leaned
over him and yanked
MY resume, My history
from between his
arrogant fingers.

"I can see that we
are personally
incompatible."
I said,
"irreconcilably so."

"What... do you mean?"
he said, mouth still
open wide as I closed
the door, leaving him
alone
in his expansive corner
office in his overlarge
exécutive chair.

====================
This is a true story.   THE PROMPT was to write a poem remembering an “a-ha moment” from my past,  etc etc

My instantaneous intuitive "Ah Ha!" was this: I suddenly knew in my bones all the following, all at once:
a) there was NO chance of being hired. (All the employees I'd met were 25 or under and I was forty plus at the time.)
b) he was settling in to torture me for fun, maybe to get even with his Mommy.
c), I would have HATED working for this little jerk anyway..
d) I WASN'T HELPLESS - I DIDN'T HAVE TO SIT THERE AND TAKE IT - I COULD TAKE BACK MY POWER, TAKE BACK MY RESUME AND WALK OUT. So I did.

3 comments:

Erobintica said...

me wonders where he is today...

Elizabeth said...

Good for you! So funny though -- When you write "girl in a mini" I thought of Robin's car and had to read the line again. Here's for my own "duh" moments.

Derrick said...

Touche! Sometimes we just grin and bear it. Good for you.