Thursday, April 17, 2008

New painting underway

It's based on this drawing:


12 by 12 inch, oil painting on a deep cradled masonite panel - sitting here on the mantel. It's from a 2000 sketch that I hadn't yet painted... It's isn't finished and in fact - I bought the panel Tuesday after I mailed my taxes. Poor woman needs a face, the tree needs some leaves etc etc. I am thinking of calling it "Bad Date" or maybe "three fences" or "Witness" or "The Blue Dress" I have to wait and see how it looks when it's done (which could be quite different) The original sketch for the painting at the right, was much more ominous than this currently appears - but there are more layers to add. At the same time I am working on a second painting - which is wild and non-objective.

One thing I like about art - I don't have to wait for 20 people to do it with, or the approval of some perfectionist director / producer / conductor, etc., or of the reigning stars. I don't even have to worry about the kevetching of an audience while or immediately after I am performing. I don't need to perfectly follow a script or score written by someone else, nor do I have to listen to complaints about how awful I am, or intimations that I am not musical. If I make a mistake in paint, I can study it, and fix it, as oils, can be changed and tweaked. I can paint in my room without ever showing it to anyone. It can be a private world. Or I can post it here and reject disparaging or irrelevant comments. Do I sound a little defensive? I have a sore throat on one side and my tinnitus is really loud today. (And was Wednesday night too, when I was just awful.)