Sunday, March 9, 2008

Arcs of motion

This pic shows an oil pastel (from several years ago) on one of my favorite subjects - motion. Here people are jumping, leaping - raising up their arms, escaping gravity. I like the motion here both of the bodies and of the sympathetic lines and they way they lead into each other.

If I had it to do again, (in this oil pastel anyway) I would not outline the stripped shirt area of the male figure in the foreground. I still might try and scrape the outline off a bit and let the color of the form define the edges. One of the nice aspects of oil pastels is that you can draw back into the color by scraping with a pen knife, an awl or a razor, making new patterns in new directions. Hmmmm. I think that's what I need to do with my life - redraw a little..... mark over the marks to create a deeper meaning - and possibly embellish the financial end of things - maybe get over the poverty line....

==============================