Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ode to a $9 chair, cups of tea & Slambovia

The other day, I went to meet a few friends to see Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams. They gave a concert as a part of the CT Film Festival - right on the Danbury Green under the sundry band shell.

As I was preparing to go to this free FREE FREE concert (did I mention it was FREE?) my mom mentioned that there was a nine dollar folding canvas chair in the garage and I ought to bring it to sit in.... I poked my head into the garage looked around, surveying various items that might be a chair sticking out of a pile of boxes or rakes or lawn mower attachments. I didn't see anything but standard lawn chairs which were hung on the wall. So I brought one of those, but then I left it in the car anyway - and it's just as well as these chairs are relics from my youth, are at least 40 years old, making them the frail elderly of lawn chairs. Their aluminum ribs are willing but the synthetic webbing is weak and frayed too.

I had parked on Main Street near Escape to the Arts. I put every quarter I could scrounge out of my purse into the parking meter (I think now I didn't need to do this as it was after hours.) I think I put in $1.75 in quarters into that meter.

As I went round the corner down White Street, a guy asked me if could spare a quarter. I said I didn't have any left. He began to berate me. "What's the matter with you? You can't reach in there and come up with just one little quarter? What kind of person are you.?" he ask indignantly. Now here I was, totally unemployed, wearing pants and shirt I got from Goodwill and a $5 hat from Walmart, having just put my last damn quarter in a parking meter. Yet this guy was absolutely sure I must have a quarter.... Sigh.

So I get to the green and finally found my friends on square blanket down front. And what a concert. I had never heard Gandolf Murphy before. They have the wackiest collection of instruments. They have the standard rhythm, lead & bass guitars and drums. But they also have an accordion, a xylophone, an electric slide mandolin, a cello, a theremin ( that spooky space music generator from old scifi flicks), bunch of shakeable gords and other items etc etc. Apparently, The New York Times called them a sort of a hillbilly-PinkFloyd. What a great sound!!!! I am a fan. Give a listen:  http://www.youtube.com/v/VAc7KWA0YKg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

So the next day, my mother felt the necessity to point me to the CHAIR the nine dollar chair. It was in a carry sack with a strap and I had assumed it was a leaf bag attachment for the lawn mower. Once it was found, I felt compelled to check it out. After all what kind of monstrosity must a nine dollar chair be? Rickety? Uncomfortable?Unsightly?
None of the above. This is most comfortable versatile and lovely chair in a handsome tweedy beigy color - an unbelievable deal for $9.99. I can drag it in front of the screen door and pretend I have a porch, or in front of the TV now that I have lost the remote again. Here I sit with complete lower lumbar support secure and comfy, a drink holder, and laptop in lap typing away in the nine dollar collapsable chair. ANd next to me on my right the dog is neatly folded up in ball on the cushion to an abandon chase lounge, to my left, the cat sits folded in ball on a footstool (really the seat of an old office chair, now a backless footstool with wheels), and next to me, on an unfolded folding tv table is tea - lushly unfolding its fragrance into the air. A free concert. A nine dollar folding chair. Life is odd, but for someone with no income, surprisingly good.