Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Confession: I'm a low budget economic news junkie

"Are you really listening to that?" Maisy always asks when she comes into the room and I have CNBC on the tube. Usually I don't appear to be watching - but I am listening while I write or work at whatever home-bound efforts I am making. "They don't know what they are talking about" she says "who knows if any of them are right."

She has a point, but I am not a trader of any sort. It's the drama I love, the "now," the minute to minute throb of announcements. The fed, the traders reactions, the analysts statements the retorts and rebuttals. It's the struggles and trends of businesses and industries that employ people all over the globe.

There's crime and fraud, greed and indignation, buearocratic remedies and legal strictures, wisdom and foolishness, new products and expensive flops, hysteria and prudence. It's like a soap-opera only it involves real events, people and the future of business and technology around the world, as they are engaged in trying to make a living. It's like a reality TV except the scope is far greater then any of the individual players.

There's no doubt about it. I'm hooked even tough I'm not a player.

No comments: