Thursday, September 20, 2012

File under: Healthcare-miscellaneous discontent

Today I read an opinion piece in the Danbury News Times by Dr. Kenneth Pellegrino, a family doctor in Brookfield. It's one of the best assessments of the current system I have ever seen in such a short space. The title is "The guarded state of American health care: A doctor's diagnosis. Bravo Dr. Pellegrino!!! I read it in the paper paper rather than online.

I borrowed the book  How Doctors Think, by Jerome Groopman, MD from the local library. It reveals an amazing view of what influences a doctor's thought processes, and what reasoning a doctor may use when putting you into a pigeonhole of care -- or instead, actually seeing and speaking with you as a living being..... Eureka!

 I recenty learned there are apparently online "health record vaults" where health records can (supposedly)be shared with insurers or various doctors you might have. Not that you actually would be able to convince anyone to look into it, and it looks like it might be a fulltime job just to get the info up there. And by then I'll be 90.... or not. Sigh.